About Tim Frederich
Functional studio pottery owner: Frederich Pottery AKA Dublin Pottery.
Creates and markets handthrown and handbuilt high-fired stoneware pottery and sculpture through wholesale, retail and corporate accounts. Manages inventory, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, taxes, and all other aspects of small business management.
Instructor- Delaware County Cultural Arts Center, Delaware, Ohio.
Taught classes from beginning to expert skill levels in all aspects of functional pottery andsculpture. Main focus on throwing, hand-building and glazing techniques.
Product Support/Customer Support Specialist and The Orton Center For Firing Coordinator for The Edward Orton Jr. Ceramic Foundation, Westerville, Ohio
My role at the foundation was to work with the distributors in the marketing of the products, dealing mainly with kiln controllers, kilnvents and pyrometric cones. I served as a customer service person answering questions on firing, glaze problems and questions on the products. I also worked with industrial accounts that had pyrometric cone and firing questions.
As Coordinator for the Orton Center For Firing, I presented firing seminars to our customers and interested people throughout the United States. Served as the Editor and contributed to the production and distribution of the Firing Line, a magazine published by Orton.
American Ceramic Society, Westerville, Ohio.
Editor of Pottery Making Illustrated and Associate Editor of Ceramics Monthly magazines.
Responsibilities included solicitation of authors and material for the magazines, developing editorial focus, coordinating production, establishing and following budgets. Promoted the magazines and the field of ceramic arts to the general public.
Staff liaison to the Potters Council (an organization of potters) that I was a founding member of in 2001.
Representative for Diversified Ceramic Services Inc., Greensboro, NC.
We represent refractory and ceramic material companies, calling on industry and ceramic suppliers. My territory covers a large portion of the eastern United States. We also consult with our customer base on solving material and production problems.
I have given many demonstrations of throwing and hand-building techniques. I am comfortablein a public forum, speaking with people and educating them on ceramic techniques and materials.
Craftfairs and Exibitions:
- Winterfair, Columbus, Ohio (28 years)
- Crafts Affair, Cincinnati, Ohio (10 years)
- Craftfair at Hathaway Brown, Cleveland, Ohio (6 years)
- The Best of the Season, Indianapolis, Indiana (7 years)
- Functional Ceramics 1999, Wooster, Ohio
- Decorative Arts Center of Ohio, Lancaster, Ohio 2014, Exibition (My Best Friends are Potters), Ceramics from my collection and my work.
Functional potter since 1968. Expertise ranges from creating clay bodies and glazes to working in different firing environments (gas, wood, electric). Experience includes building, using and repairing all types of kilns (electric, gas and wood-fired). 42 years of experience operating a functional studio have enabled me to become proficient in building and repairing most types of studio equipment. Familiar with all aspects of ceramics, from creation of product to the maintenance of the studio.
- Ohio Designer Craftsman- Past Central Ohio Representative, Board of Directors
- The Potters Council of The American Ceramic Society– Founding member and board member of The Potters Council 2001-2002
- American Ceramic Society – Art Division, Vice Chair of Art Division 2003-2004
- Pottery Making Illustrated– Member of the editorial advisory board (2001-2003)
- Dublin Chamber of Commerce– Served on the Board of Directors for over 12 years. Served a term as President (1982-1983)
Authored and contributed articles to many publications including Pottery Making Illustrated, Popular Ceramics, NCECA Journal and the Orton Firing Line
Workshops and Presentations:
Have been involved in panels, workshops and presentations including NCECA 2001, Potters Council Firing Workshop 2003, Potters Council Throwing Workshop 2005, numerous Firing Seminars and presentations to State Art Teacher Conventions around the United States.
- 1961-1965 North Catholic High School, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1965 Bishop Watterson High School, Columbus, OH
- 1965-1969 Ohio Dominican College, Columbus, OH
1969-1971 Ohio State University, Columbus, OH ; Bachelor of Fine Arts -Ceramics